DOQQ Download Instructions
- Click on the web page http://wvgis.wvu.edu/data/dataset.php?action=search&ID=74
at the WV GIS Technical Center's web site.
- Select DOWNLOAD. Then from the DOWNLOAD options select: ftp://ftp.wvgis.wvu.edu/pub/Clearinghouse/DOQQ/NAD83
- Each file represents a 3.75 minute quarter quad (NE,NW,SE,SW)
of a 7.5 minute USGS topographic map. For example, downtown
Morgantown is located in the SW quarter quad of the Morgantown
North 7.5 Quadrangle. To help locate a 7.5 minute quad, use the
USGS Index MapFinder tool at http://edcwww.cr.usgs.gov/Webglis/glisbin/finder_main.pl?dataset_name=MAPS_LARGE
- Click on the name (i.e., Charleston East SW) of the 3.75
minute quarter quad for download.
- A File Download window will appear, choose "Save this File to
Disk" and click OK.
- When the "Save As" box appears, select a location to save the
WinZip file to. Then hit Save.
- Before continuing you need to make sure you have WinZip or
another unzipping utility as well as the MrSID Stand Alone Viewer:
- After both WinZip and the MrSID Viewer are installed, use the
Windows Explorer to locate the downloaded DOQQ WinZip file. Now
select it with the left mouse button, and then click the right
mouse button. Next select "Extract to Folder." When this is done
the user can expect to see the following files .sdw
(georeferencing world file), .sid (the image), .hdr (background
info, date of photograph, quad name, etc.)
- Using the MrSID Stand Alone Viewer, goto FILE, OPEN, and
select the file you want to view. The MrSID file can also be
viewed with GIS software such as ESRI ArcView.
- Having difficulty downloading the files or viewing the MrSID
DOQQ images? E-mail the WV GIS Tech Center at firstname.lastname@example.org for technical